The winners have been announced at this year’s Antalya Film Forum, the co-production market and project development platform of the Antalya Golden Orange Film Festival, which is being held for the 57th year by the Municipality of Antalya with the support of the Turkish Ministry of Culture and Tourism. Due to the pandemic, the Forum Awards Ceremony, like the Forum itself, took place entirely online.
Under the directorship of Olena Yershova Yıldız, the Antalya Film Forum ran from October 5-7, 2020 as a sidebar event of the Antalya Golden Orange Film Festival, and this year supported 14 projects across five categories with TL470 thousand in cash prizes.
A total of 29 projects competed at the Antalya Film Forum in the Pitching forFeature Films in Development, Features Work in Progress Platform, Documentaries Work in Progress Platform, Sümer Tilmaç Antalya Film Support Fund Pitching Platform and this year’s inaugural Series / Short Series Pitching Platform categories.
TL30 thousand Awards to Bonds and Not as You Know It
The eight projects competing in the Pitching for Feature Films in Development category were assessed by a jury comprised of Bobby Allen, Delly Shirazi and Dilara Omur, who awarded Feature Film Pitching Awards, collectively worth TL60 thousand, to two projects. While Soner Sert’s Bonds (Bağlar) and Vuslat Saraçoğlu’s Not as You Know It (Bildiğin Gibi Değil) each won a cash prize of TL30 thousand, Erman Bostan’s Witch (Cadı) picked up the Film Standartları Post Production Award.
Two Awards to Time of Impatience
Five films were pitched in the Features Work in Progress Platform category, which supports projects that are either nearing the end of shooting or in post-production. Antoine Thirion, Aslı Özge and Renan Artukmaç, who made up the jury, recognized Aydın Orak’s Time of Impatience (Sabırsızlık Zamanı) with both the Features Work in Progress Award, worth TL80 thousand, and the Başka Sinema Distribution and Promotion Award. Nazlı Elif Durlu’s Zuhal came away with the TL40 thousandFeatures Work in Progress Special Jury Award.
TL50 thousand Award from TRT
The Turkish Radio and Television Corporation (TRT) continued its support for independent cinema this year with the Features Work in Progress TRT Award, worth TL50 thousand. Announced by Faruk Güven, the Head of Co-productions at TRT, the award and TL50 thousand of funding went to Erkan Tahhuşoğlu’s Features Work in Progress project, Corridor (Koridor).
TL60 thousand of support to Documentary Filmmaking
Seven projects competed in the Antalya Film Forum’s Documentaries Work in Progress category. These were pitched to jury members Adriek van Nieuwenhuyzen, Necati Sönmez and Philippa Kowarsky. The TL60 thousand Documentaries Work in Progress Awards were shared equally by Ahmet Necdet Çupur’s Whitewash (Örtbaş) and Ceylan Özgün Özçelik’s Witch Trilogy 15+ (Cadı Üçlemesi 15+). Of the other two awards in the category, Somnur Vardar’s Drifting (Boşlukta) took the Postbıyık Sound Post Production Award, while the Başka Sinema Distribution Award went to Duet (Düet), a project co-directed by İdil Akkuş and Ekin İlbağ.
Forum’s new Series / Short Series Pitching Platform
There were six projects running in the Series / Short Series Pitching Platform category, which was newly launched at the Antalya Film Forum this year. The projects were pitched to a jury made up of Laurence Herszberg, Sarp Kalfaoğlu and Veronika Kovacova. The Series / Short Series BluTV Award, a TL30 thousand cash prize designated for use in the production of a pilot episode, went to Serdar Kökçeoğlu and Levent Çetin’s project, Berlinist. Can Evrenol’s A Slow Cooked Heart (Kısık Ateşte Pişmiş Kalp) won the Color Up Color Correction Award, while Ali Kemal Güven’s Men of Istanbul (İstanbul’un Erkekleri) was recognized with the Special Award: International Consulting from Beta Film.
Two awards to Apollon by Day, Athena by Night
The Sümer Tilmaç Antalya Film Support Fund Pitching Platform was inaugurated in memory of the great Turkish actor, Sümer Tilmaç, who died three years ago, to incentivize filmmaking in Antalya. This year, three projects were selected to pitch in the category. Jury members Burak Göral, Müge Özen and Onur Saylak gave the TL150 thousand Sümer Tilmaç Antalya Film Support Fund Award to Emine Yıldırım’s Apollon by Day, Athena by Night (Gündüz Apollon Gece Athena). Apollon by Day, Athena by Night was also recognized with the Fono Film Post Production Award.
ANTALYA FILM FORUM 2020 AWARDS
PITCHING FOR FEATURE FILMS IN DEVELOPMENT
- Feature Film Pitching Award (TL 30.000): Bonds / Bağlar (Director: Soner Sert | Producer: Seçkin Akyıldız)
- Feature Film Pitching Award (TL 30.000): Not As You Know It / Bildiğin Gibi Değil (Director: Vuslat Saraçoğlu | Producer: Vuslat Saraçoğlu)
- Film Standartları Post Production Award: The Witch / Cadı (Director: Erman Bostan | Producer: Nilüfer Küyel)
FEATURES WORK IN PROGRESS PLATFORM
- Features Work In Progress Award (TL 80.000): Time of Impatience / Sabırsızlık Zamanı (Director, Producer: Aydın Orak)
- Features Work In Progress Special Jury Award (TL 40.000): Zuhal (Director: Nazlı Elif Durlu | Producer: Anna Maria Aslanoğlu)
- Features Work In Progress, TRT Award (TL 50.000): Corridor / Koridor (Director: Erkan Tahhuşoğlu | Producer: Zeynep Koray, İris Tahhuşoğlu, Yunus Yunusoğlu)
- Başka Sinema Distribution and Promotion Award: Time of Impatience / Sabırsızlık Zamanı (Director, Producer: Aydın Orak)
DOCUMENTARIES WORK IN PROGRESS PLATFORM
- Documentaries Work In Progress Award TL 30.000: Whitewash / Örtbas (Director: Ahmet Necdet Çupur | Producer: Nadir Öperli, Delphine Morel, Anke Petersen)
- Documentaries Work In Progress Award TL 30.000: Witch Trilogy 15+ / Cadı Üçlemesi 15+ (Director: Ceylan Özgün Özçelik | Producer: Armağan Lale)
- Postbıyık Sound Post Production Award: Drifting / Boşlukta (Director, Producer: Somnur Vardar)
- Başka Sinema Distribution Award: Duet / Düet (Director: İdil Akkuş, Ekin İlbağ | Producer: Ali Bilgin)
SERIES / SHORT SERIES PITCHING PLATFORM
- Series / Short Series Pitching Platform BluTv Award TL 30.000: Berlinist / Berlinist (Creator, Writer: Serdar Kökçeoğlu, Levent Çetin | Producer: Levent Çetin, Serdar Kökçeoğlu)
- Color Up Color Correction Award: A Slow Cooked Heart / Kısık Ateşte Pişmiş Kalp (Creator: Can Evrenol | Writer: Jamie Grefe | Producer: Bora Yüksel)
- Special Award: ‘’International Consulting from Beta Film’’: Men Of Istanbul / İstanbul’un Erkekleri (Creator, Writer: Ali Kemal Güven | Producer: Seda Özkaraca
SÜMER TİLMAÇ ANTALYA FILM SUPPORT FUND PITCHING PLATFORM
- Sümer Tilmaç Antalya Film Support Fund Award TL 150.000: Apollon By Day Athena By Night / Gündüz Apollon Gece Athena (Director: Emine Yıldırım | Producer: Dilde Mahalli, Emine Yıldırım)
- Fono Film Post Production Award: Apollon By Day Athena By Night / Gündüz Apollon Gece Athena (Director: Emine Yıldırım | Producer: Dilde Mahalli, Emine Yıldırım)